11 October 2010

Git: recovering from an incorrect e-mail address

Our big software project uses Git (the version control system) in a CVS mode, with a single central repository to which we push commits (after they pass the check-in test suite).  This can be good, because it forces us to fix small but annoying things -- like setting the correct e-mail address!  I was testing on a different machine than my usual development workstation; I made some commits there, and then pushed to my workstation's local repository (Git shines for stuff like this).  Then, I activated the check-in tests, but the push failed: my e-mail address wasn't set!  (The tests check for that -- handy!)

While I had set my e-mail address for Git correctly on my workstation, I hadn't set it on the other machine.  There were seven commits sitting on my workstation (where I run the check-in test suite) with the wrong e-mail address.  Here's how I started the fix.  First, I ran

$ git rebase -i HEAD~7

which let me fix up the last 7 local commits.  "-i" means "interactive," so Git fired up a text editor and let me decide which commits to change (and how).  I then repeated the following three tasks seven times:

$ git commit --amend --reset-author
(Edit the commit message -- no author e-mail address here, but it gets fixed due to "--reset-author")
$ git rebase --continue

That fixed it!  There's probably an easier way, but I was pleased.

3 comments:

PhoenixAngel said...

speaking of email addresses. your link on the blog to your email address does not appear to work. just thought you would like to know

HilbertAstronaut said...

Thanks for the heads-up! I should know better than to expect that computer things always work magically ;-)

HilbertAstronaut said...

It should work now -- feel free to give it a try!